Hours of operation have been set for on-campus interim fitness and recreation spaces, which will be open to all students, faculty and staff at the start of the spring 2023 semester. The interim spaces, announced last month, will accommodate renovations and construction for the reimagined, comprehensive Wellness + Recreation facility.
Importantly, the interim locations will be open the same number of hours each day as have been available at the Rec Center and Rec Plex. Additionally, all fitness and recreation equipment (e.g., treadmills, spin bikes, weight equipment, etc.) from the Rec Center will be available at the Rec Plex Plus and O’Donnell Hall locations.
“It was important to us throughout the planning for this transition period to ensure that members of our campus community who use our fitness and recreation facilities have a positive experience,” says Dr. Xavier Cole, vice president for student affairs. “I am pleased that we are able to provide our guests, particularly our students, with the same number of available hours and that all equipment remains accessible.”
Spring 2023 fitness and recreation facility HOURS
Spring 2023 fitness and recreation facility SERVICES
Downloadable, printable map of interim spaces
Downloadable, printable floorplans of new spaces
Interim fitness and recreation locations, equipment, amenities and programming:
- Rec Plex Plus at Straz Tower
- 915 W. Wisconsin Ave.
- All currently available equipment and amenities, including steam room, sauna and whirlpool, at the Rec Plex will remain available throughout the construction and renovation project.
- Space in Straz (formerly occupied by the offices of Finance and Human Resources) is being renovated to provide additional fitness space featuring cardio and weight training equipment.
- The Rec Center’s full-time staff will also move into new offices in this space.
- Fitness Center at O’Donnell Hall
- 725 N. 18th St. (enter from the west off of 19th St.)
- The lobby and lower level of O’Donnell Hall will be used for the Fitness Center.
- This fully renovated space will feature cardio and weight training equipment, a spin room and a personal stretching room.
- Full-time recreation staff will have office space in this area.
- Old Gym
- 1532 W. Clybourn St.
- The Old Gym will be used primarily for open play, intramural and club basketball.
- The Annex
- 1532 W. Wells St.
- Gymnasium space at the Annex will be used for group exercise classes, intramurals and open play.
Restrooms are available at all locations; showers and lockers are only at the Rec Plex Plus location.
A comprehensive campus map is available online.
Additionally, the university has arranged to use the gymnasium at nearby Cristo Rey Jesuit High School (1818 W. National Ave.) for club sport practices, particularly club volleyball. The Valley Fields dome (1818 W. Canal St.) will also be available to accommodate some club sport needs.