In anticipation of the Helfaer Tennis Stadium and Recreation Center (Rec Center) closing at the end of 2022 to accommodate renovations and construction for the reimagined, comprehensive Wellness + Recreation facility, here is a look at all the interim spaces on campus for fitness, recreation and club sports that will be available beginning in 2023.
The Rec Center is scheduled to close by the end of the calendar year, contingent on funding for and board of trustees’ approval of the new facility.
Download or print this handy map, which outlines the locations of and workout equipment and amenities at the following locations (additional details below). Students can access these locations with their MUID; faculty and staff with a Rec Center or Rec Plex membership:
- Expanded Rec Plex facilities at the “Rec Plex Plus at Straz Tower”
- A Fitness Center at O’Donnell Hall
- The Old Gym
- The Annex
- Outdoor space at Norris Park
- Outdoor fitness stations located throughout campus
- Valley Fields
- Cristo Rey Jesuit High School (for some club sports only)
Want to get a sense of how your fitness needs will be met in some of these newly developed locations? Check out these floorplans of the expanded Rec Plex Plus space and the Fitness Center at O’Donnell Hall.
Your top destination for recreation and fitness will be the Rec Plex Plus at Straz Hall, combining all the existing space, equipment and amenities offered at the Rec Plex with newly built out space for additional cardio and weight training equipment. Haven’t been to the Plex in a while? See all it has to offer in this photo gallery!
An updated webpage with facility hours, programming information, a comprehensive list of equipment and amenities, and photos will be available on the Rec Sports website at the end of the semester, prior to the transition to interim recreation, fitness and club sports spaces. Watch Marquette Today for updates.
We look forward to opening in 2024 a reimagined, comprehensive Wellness + Recreation facility that will bring together the campus’ fitness and recreation facilities with the Counseling Center and the Marquette University Medical Clinic — student-centric services currently dispersed across campus.
Interim fitness and recreation locations, equipment, amenities and programming:
- 915 W. Wisconsin Ave.
- All currently available equipment and amenities, including steam room, sauna and whirlpool, at the Rec Plex will remain available throughout the construction and renovation project.
- Straz Tower
- 915 W. Wisconsin Ave.
- Space formerly occupied by the offices of Finance and Human Resources are being renovated to provide additional rec and fitness space featuring cardio and weight training equipment.
- The Rec Center’s full-time staff will also move into new offices in this space.
- O’Donnell Hall
- 725 N. 18th St. (enter from the west off of 19th St.)
- The lobby and lower level of O’Donnell Hall will be known as Fitness Center West.
- This fully renovated space will feature cardio and weight training equipment and a spin room.
- Full-time recreation staff will have office space in this area.
- Old Gym
- 1532 W. Clybourn St.
- The Old Gym will be used primarily for open play, intramural and club basketball.
- The Annex
- 1532 W. Wells St.
- Gymnasium space at the Annex will be used for group exercise classes, intramurals and open play.
Restrooms are available at all locations; showers and lockers are only at the Rec Plex Plus location.
A comprehensive campus map is available online.
Additionally, the university has arranged to use the gymnasium at nearby Cristo Rey Jesuit High School (1818 W. National Ave.) for club sport practices, particularly men’s and women’s club basketball and club volleyball. The Valley Fields dome (1818 W. Canal St.) will also be available to accommodate some club sport needs.