The Marquette University Police Department is investigating the incident below. If you have more information, please contact MUPD immediately at (414) 288-6800.
Initial Incident Report
- Incident type: Fire
- Incident location: 16th Street and Wells Street
- Approximate time: 8:30 p.m.
- Victims: N/A
- Physical injuries: N/A
A dryer in a business caught fire and spread to a nearby wall. All residents of a nearby apartment building were evacuated and no one was injured. Milwaukee Fire Department is on scene and residents will be alerted when they can return to the building.
UPDATE at 10:41 p.m.: Residents were able to return to the apartment building.
STAY SAFE, STAY INFORMED:
- Text alerts inform the campus community of immediate action steps that will preserve safety. These steps include:
- Use caution: If you are in the area, use caution and be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid area: Stay away from the area.
- Shelter in place: Stay where you are until an all clear is given.
- Evacuate: Evacuate the building you are in immediately.
- Run, Hide, Fight: If you can safely leave the area, leave. If you are unable to leave the area safely, find a safe and secure location to hide. If you are left with no other option, use materials at your disposal to fight the active threat.
- Opt in to text alerts via CheckMarq (students) and MyJob (faculty and staff).
- Download the EagleEye safety app for one-click location services and access to MUPD. The app also allows riders to see scheduled arrival times and track LIMO Express in the area. Location services must be enabled. The app is free and available for download from the Apple App Store and Google Play for Android; it can also be found by searching “Marquette EagleEye” in either app store. Need to enable location services.
- Transportation locator for LIMO Express: When the “Campus Safety” setting is on, this map shows all active Limo Express vehicles and the directions in which they’re traveling, making it easier for riders to anticipate when a shuttle will arrive at a particular route destination. The white LIMO Express vans drive a set route throughout campus and handle more of our off-campus transports. Blue LIMOs are not restricted to a set route and are the ones responding to requests called into dispatch at (414) 288-6363.
- Mobile BlueLight: By tapping a button, MUPD will be dispatched to your device’s location to immediately respond.
- Friend Walk: This allows you to send your location to a friend so the friend can ensure you get to your destination safely or call emergency services if they are concerned. When you finish your trip, disconnect, and it will stop tracking.
- Utilize MUPD’s free LIMO transport services on campus from 5 p.m. to 3 a.m. 365 days per year. There are multiple vans in the LIMO Services fleet, each holding up to 13 passengers. The LIMOs stop at various points around campus and can bring students directly to their destination. Call (414) 288-6363 to request a LIMO.
- Enter MUPD’s number in your phone so you always have it handy. MUPD non-emergency: (414) 288-6800. MUPD emergency: (414) 288-1911.
- Always travel in pairs or groups and stay aware of your surroundings at all times. Make sure someone knows when you leave and when to expect you back.
- Do not become distracted by talking on your cell phone or listening to music through headphones at a high volume.
- Give up your property if approached; do not offer more than is asked of you.
- Take note of suspicious vehicles, especially those that appear to be circling the block or driving unusually slow. If you observe a suspicious vehicle, relay its description and location to MUPD using one of the more than 450 blue light phones on and near campus.
- Travel on well-lit, busy streets and avoid walking through alleys and parking lots. Be aware of places along your path of travel that could conceal a criminal (shrubbery, building recesses, etc.).
- If you think someone is following you, cross the street, head for a well populated, well-lit area and contact MUPD.
- When using a ride-sharing service or taxi for transportation, please take steps to ensure your safety.
- 450 Blue Light emergency phones are located throughout campus. The phones are connected to the MUPD 24-hour communications center and identify the phone location if the caller is unable to speak. The phones can be used to request help or an escort, and to report suspicious activity and crimes.
- 1,200 security cameras across campus provide real-time campus visibility to MUPD.
- The use of alcohol by students under age 21 is against the law and against university policy. If you do plan to drink, be responsible and do so in moderation.