The Democratic National Convention, taking place Aug. 17-20, continues to scale back its operations in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. The convention will be hosted from Milwaukee but is now almost entirely a virtual event.
Last week, the security zone was released and is significantly smaller than it was first anticipated — no portion of Marquette’s campus is included in the updated security zone.
From Saturday, Aug. 15, around 6 p.m. through midday Saturday, Aug. 21, the following streets surrounding the Wisconsin Center (where the virtual convention will be hosted) will be closed:
- West Wells Street, between North 6th Street and North Phillips Avenue (North 4th Street)
- West Wisconsin Avenue, between North 6th St. and Phillips Ave (North 4th Street)
- North 6th Street, between West Michigan Street and West Kilbourn Avenue.
- North 5th Street, between West Michigan Street and West Kilbourn Avenue.
- North 4th Street, between West Michigan Street and West Kilbourn Avenue.
- West Michigan Street, between Phillips Avenue (North 4th Street) and North 5th Street
From Aug. 13-21, the Kilbourn Tunnel exit ramp from north I-43 and the entrance ramp to north I-43 will also be closed.
Additionally, as previously communicated, there will be no guests staying on campus during the convention and there will be no convention-related events on campus.
Since protests are still expected to occur in the city during the week of the convention, the following campus security procedures will remain in place:
- Campus buildings (except the AMU) will be locked and will require MUID access from Aug. 10 – 21.
- Employees and students on campus are asked to display their MUIDs.
- The university will utilize Marquette Today updates if there are any changes to traffic patterns or other areas around campus related to the convention.
- The university will utilize its text and email safety alert system to notify the Marquette community of any active threats to campus.
- The Milwaukee Police Department will utilize Twitter as its main source for sharing information. Follow @security_dnc to stay informed.
- As always, please report any suspicious incidents to the Marquette University Police Department using the non-emergency line: (414) 288-6800.
- To report an emergency, dial 911 or call MUPD’s emergency line: (414) 288-1911.