All are welcome to join in the annual celebration of Ash Wednesday, marking the start of Lent, on Wednesday, Feb. 14.
Christians mark the start of their Lenten disciplines of prayer, fasting and almsgiving by receiving ashes upon their heads — the mark of conversion of heart.
Campus Ministry will be offering a variety of services on Ash Wednesday. All are welcome to participate; you do not need to be Catholic to receive ashes:
- 7:30 a.m. — Mass in Chapel of the Holy Family
- Noon — Mass in Chapel of the Holy Family
- 4:30 p.m. — Ecumenical prayer service in Chapel of the Holy Family
- 6 p.m. — Liturgia para la imposicion de la ceniza in St. Joan of Arc Chapel
- 7 p.m. — Mass in Chapel of the Holy Family
- 10 p.m. — Mass in St. Joan of Arc Chapel
In addition, The Church of the Gesu is offering Mass with the distribution of ashes at 7 a.m, 12:05 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
As a reminder, Ash Wednesday is a day of penitence and all Roman Catholics aged 14 and older are obliged to abstain from eating meat. Roman Catholics between the ages of 18 and 59 are obliged to fast.