October is Respect Life Month, which provides an opportunity for our university community to intentionally reflect on the gift of life, learn more about challenges and threats to human dignity and life, and dialogue with others on ways to promote the flourishing of human life from conception to natural death. These important conversations are not always easy.
One resource intended to foster this dialogue is Campus Ministry’s Respect Life website, which highlights a number of crucial topics, including abortion and care for pregnant women, the death penalty, environmental justice and climate change, immigration and poverty, racism and white supremacy, and the effects of colonialism on indigenous communities.
This website is just a starting point for a host of important topics that raise justice questions in light of Catholic Social Teaching.
To commemorate Respect Life Month and bring to prayer the many practical areas of support needed within our university community and beyond, students, faculty and staff are invited to:
- Join in praying a Rosary for Life on Wednesday, Oct. 26, at 5 p.m. in the Marian Grotto (rain/inclement weather site will be the St. Joan of Arc Chapel)
- Participate in a Mass for Life on Thursday, Oct. 27, at 10 p.m. in the St. Joan of Arc Chapel
A pinwheel display representing women helped by pregnancy care centers will be on the Southeast Alumni Memorial Union lawn from Tuesday, Oct. 25 to Friday, Oct. 28.
In addition, Campus Ministry offers many opportunities throughout the year to explore respect life questions, issues facing the human family and living a faith that does justice especially through:
- Soup with Substance: Wednesdays from noon to 12:50 p.m. in the Alumni Memorial Union
- Ignite: Wednesdays from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the Lunda Room or Chapel of the Holy Family (AMU)
- Ignatian Family Teach-In
- Midnight Run
- Marquette Action Program (MAP) Spring Break Service Trips and International Marquette Action Program (IMAP) Immersion Trips
- Border Awareness Experience
For more information on Respect Life Month, please contact Steve Blaha, assistant director of Campus Ministry at (414) 288-6873.
Students seeking pastoral care, spiritual support, pregnancy resources or post-abortion support are encouraged to connect with Campus Ministry at (414) 288-6873, by stopping in AMU 236 or personally with a campus minister.
A listing of on- and off-campus resources supporting pregnant students, partners, family members and friends, and persons considering adoption, can be found online.