COVID-19 stimulus funds to provide emergency financial aid to eligible students in need

Like many other institutions nationwide, Marquette University has received a second round of stimulus funding, which provides emergency financial aid grants to eligible students who are facing significant financial challenges.

Marquette has followed the guidelines set forth by the U.S. Department of Education to determine how to disburse the funds to our students who demonstrate the most need, particularly students who are Pell eligible. Per the federal guidelines, funds are given to eligible students for eligible expenses, which include course materials and technology as well as food, housing, health care and childcare.

Based on the federal allocation formula, the university has determined that 75% of the $3.3 million will automatically go to Pell eligible students. The remaining 25% will be earmarked for eligible students, who must apply for the funds.

Students who are federal Pell Grant eligible will automatically receive a grant to be disbursed on or after Feb. 19. Students enrolled in direct deposit will begin to see the funds no earlier than the week of Feb. 22; checks will be mailed the following week. Students who haven’t already signed up for direct deposit are encouraged to do so by Thursday, Feb. 18. Follow these direct deposit instructions.

Students who are non-Pell but filed a FAFSA need to complete an application to be considered for an award. Students with expenses due to COVID-19 disruption who are enrolled for the spring 2021 term (at least half-time and have a valid FAFSA on file) will receive an email on Feb. 10 with a link to an online application that must be completed and returned by March 4 to be considered for emergency funding. Students should not forward this application to other email addresses. Students who haven’t already signed up for direct deposit are encouraged to do so by March 9. Follow these direct deposit instructions.

Outlook inbox reminder

  • Students are reminded to periodically check their “Other” inbox (for those using the “Focused/Other” sorting in Outlook) and email spam folders to ensure that important emails are not missed.
    • The “Focused Inbox” feature on Outlook separates users’ inbox into two tabs — “Focused” and “Other.” Your most important email messages are sorted into the Focused tab while the rest remain easily accessible — but out of the way — on the Other tab. You can turn this feature off or change how your messages get organized. Learn more about Focused/Other inbox.
  • Additionally, spam filtering has recently become more rigorous. Web mail providers such as Outlook use filters to identify marketing and promotional emails. However, these filters are not 100% accurate, so sometimes legitimate emails may go to your spam folder. For this reason, it’s important that you check that folder often for any important emails that may have been incorrectly classified.