The MIC Speakers Lab offers services for students, faculty and staff who are looking for assistance with presentations or public speaking.
Trained tutors offer a full range of one-on-one tutoring sessions for students who need help with all aspects of presentation development. The MIC mentors offer constructive feedback and tools to improve one’s confidence in public speaking. The MIC also helps speakers understand best practices for virtual presentations.
The MIC offers the following services:
- Assistance with brainstorming ideas
- Organizing content
- Practicing effective delivery and creating visuals
- Teaching breathing techniques
- Positive self-talk and visualization exercises to help the speaker stay calm and centered
- Feedback on PowerPoint presentations, handouts, charts and visualizations
Faculty are encouraged to utilize The MIC by assigning visits, offering extra credit or strongly encouraging students to use the service. Virtual appointments will be available by appointment this fall. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Tracey Sturgal, communication studies instructor of practice, at (414) 288-2569 for more information.
Students are welcome to make an appointment anytime.
The MIC is located in Johnston Hall 508. Please note that all appointments will remain virtual for fall 2020.