I hope you are all doing well and have returned to campus refreshed by the Fall Break. Congratulations on completing your midterm exams!
With Halloween weekend ahead, I want to share some reminders to help you have fun while making good choices to be safe.
First, there are a handful of events on campus planned around Halloween weekend:
- Trivia at the Union Sports Annex, Thursday at 9 p.m.
- MUSG Films at the Varsity Theatre: “Scream,” Friday at 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.
- Studio 013 Refugees Halloween Show, Friday at 8 p.m. in Marquette Hall 100
- Jazz Ensemble Concert, Friday at 8 p.m. at the Union Sports Annex
- Ultimate Frisbee Tournament sponsored by MUSG, Saturday from noon to 2 p.m. at Norris Park
- Cosmic Bowling, Saturday at 9 p.m. at the Union Sports Annex
- Spooky Bingo sponsored by Engineers without Borders, Sunday from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Alumni Memorial Union
Additionally, a Halloween costume contest will be held all day on Saturday. Post a picture of yourself in costume on Instagram and tag MUSG. The winner will receive a Marquette Cash prize.
Please be considerate of your well-being and of others. Remember that underage drinking and abuse or high-risk use of alcohol and other drugs is counter to Marquette’s values of respect for self, others, property and authority, and often disrupts our ability to treat one another with dignity and respect.
Be mindful of making choices that protect our community’s sense of safety and security, especially for those who choose to abstain.
Be mindful of creativity with a conscience when it comes to costumes. If you plan to dress up, think about how you’re representing yourself. Someone’s culture is not a costume. What would someone you respect think if they saw your costume? Remember to be practical – avoid costumes that make it difficult to see, move or walk.
Know that Marquette is vigilant about doing everything possible to keep you safe.
- MUPD and other local law enforcement agencies will have increased patrols over the weekend.
- We expect students to be respectful and responsible on campus and off. Laws concerning underage drinking, public intoxication, open containers, illegal substances and public disturbance will be enforced.
Take advantage of resources.
- Download and use MUPD’s safety app, EagleEye, which features one-click location services and direct connection to campus police.
- Take LIMOs, use the Blue Light phones and travel in groups.
Look out for one another.
- Many of you have gone through bystander intervention and Red Watch Band training. Put this training to use if necessary.
- The university adheres to its Good Samaritan Policy, and we expect students to uphold the community expectations expressed in the Student Conduct Code — respect for self and for others — and to comply with municipal laws.
- Marquette also has resources available if a community member needs help.
Thank you for continuing to Be The Difference. We Are Marquette!
Dr. Xavier A. Cole
Vice President for Student Affairs