Marquette University’s Alumni National Awards honor distinguished alumni, parents and friends who embody Marquette’s mission through their character, personal and professional achievements, and their impact on the community and others.
Fifty-two awardees will be honored during Celebration Week, Monday, May 24, through Friday, May 28. A virtual ceremony will take place on Tuesday, May 25, at 6 p.m. to honor the recipients of the All University Awards. Register for the event.
Award recipients include individuals from each of the university’s colleges and professional schools. They embody Marquette’s spirit and mission in searching for truth, discovering and sharing knowledge, fostering excellence, promoting faith, and developing leadership through serving others.
Short profiles of the honorees are available on the Alumni National Awards website.
All-University Award Recipients
Alumni of the Year Award
Terry Hall Jackson, Nurs ’87, and Darren R. Jackson, Bus Ad ’86
Saint Paul, Minnesota, and Milwaukee
Terry and Darren Jackson took very different paths to Marquette. She was a fourth-generation legacy, while he was a first-generation college student. But when Terry administered the Eucharist to Darren at a Gesu Sunday Mass, he knew she was the girl for him. They have been partners ever since and, today, dedicate themselves to giving back, leading initiatives to support their alma mater and enabling quality education for limited income students. Read their full bio here.
Craig R. Kasten, Bus Ad ’75
When his first venture achieved some “nice success,” entrepreneur Craig Kasten was excited. Finally, he could become a financial supporter of Marquette University Men’s Basketball. It was one among many of his service and philanthropic endeavors, making a positive impact locally and globally. “For me,” he says, “living the Marquette mission means finding a way to say, ‘Yes, I can help with that.’” Read his full bio here.
Professional Achievement Award
Harvey J. Anderson II, Eng ’84
A self-described “wild child” growing up in Washington, D.C., Harvey Anderson says his time at Marquette changed his life’s trajectory, providing what he calls “a platform to develop the confidence to excel and contribute.” He has done just that with his successful career in tech-industry law and with his commitment to mentor and connect students who seek to do the same. Read his full bio here.
Spirit of Marquette Award
Jill E. Rauh, Comm ’02, and Ajmel A. Quereshi, Arts ’03
Takoma Park, Maryland
Jill Rauh, a devout Catholic, and Ajmel Quereshi, a Muslim, met through a student group devoted to justice issues. They soon discovered their similarities — including a shared commitment to advancing social justice, civil rights and a more equitable society — greatly outweighed their differences. Read their full bio here.
Friend of the University Award
Gene and Ruth Posner Foundation
From his days as a law student, Gene Posner, Law ’36, embraced the concept of pro bono publico — “for the public good.” Today, the Gene and Ruth Posner Foundation continues to profoundly influence the Law School’s pro bono activities, enabling students to make a difference for people on society’s margins. Read the full bio here.
College, School and Group Award Recipients
The names of the alumni who will be honored are below. Visit the Marquette University Alumni National Awards webpage for additional informational on each award winner.
Klingler College of Arts and Sciences
- Distinguished Alumnus of the Year Award – Dr. Troy A. Alexander, Grad ’00
- Professional Achievement Award – Dr. Jennifer King Rice, Arts ’90, and Dr. James W. Rice, Arts ’90
- A Person for Others Award – Dr. Terrence J. Rynne, Grad ’06
- Young Alumna of the Year Award – Sara Elizabeth Dill, Arts ’02, Law ’05
Association of Marquette University of Women
- Mary Neville Bielefeld Award – Rachel K. Monaco-Wilcox, J.D., Arts ’99, Law ’04
College of Business Administration
- Distinguished Alumnus of the Year Award – Michael J. Roffler, Bus Ad ’93
- Professional Achievement Award – Derek L. Tyus, Bus Ad ’91
- Entrepreneurial Award – Shari Cummings Noonan, Bus Ad ’96
- Young Alumna of the Year Award – Sarah Willems Somers, Bus Ad ’02
Diederich College of Communication
- Communicator of the Year Award – Jane A. Svinicki, Jour ’77
- Byline Award – Charles P. Pierce, Jour ’75
- Professional Achievement Award – Denise Perry Cade, Jour ’84
- Young Alumna of the Year Award – Jessica Thunberg Smith, Comm ’03
- James T. Tiedge Memorial Award – David A. Amoroso, Jour ’86, Grad ’91
School of Dentistry
- Distinguished Alumna in Dentistry Award – Monica Dwyer Hebl, D.D.S., Dent ’85
- Outstanding Dental Service Award – Tammy M. Boudry, D.D.S., H Sci ’99, Dent ’06
- Young Alumna of the Year Award – Wendy AuClair Clark, D.D.S., M.S., Dent ’07
College of Education
- Distinguished Alumna of the Year Award – Dr. Adanna J. Johnson, Grad ’01, ’05
- Counselor Education and Counseling Psychology Achievement Award – Kristen C. Vareka, Grad ’08
- Educational Policy and Leadership Achievement Award – Bryan S. Corcoran, Arts ’97
- Young Alumna of the Year Award – Dana Bellich Hirchak, Arts ’09
Opus College of Engineering
- Distinguished Alumnus of the Year Award – Brian P. Byrne, Eng ’65
- Professional Achievement Award – Anthony J. Binsfeld, Eng ’74
- Entrepreneurial Award – Paul M. Stillmank, Eng ’85
- Young Alumna of the Year Award – Aleisha Palaniuk Jaeger, Eng ’03
College of Health Sciences
- Professional Achievement Award – William J. Wenninger, PT ’80
- Service Award – Mary Power Nachreiner, PT ’79
- Young Alumna of the Year Award – Dr. Jasmine Y. Zapata, H Sci ’09
- Friend of the College Award – Billie Ann Kubly
Department of Intercollegiate Athletics
- Distinguished Alumna of the Year Award – Hon. Patrice A. Baker, Bus Ad ’88, Law ’91
- Friends of Marquette Athletics Award – Beth M. Pavletich and Joseph A. Pavletich, Jr., D.D.S., Dent ’87
- M Club Hy Popuch Memorial Service Award – James A. Nasiopulos
- Young Alumnus of the Year Award – Creighton J. Macy, Arts ’04, Law ’08
- Robert L. and William P. McCahill Award – Allisa R. Barber, H Sci ’20 and Markus A. Howard, Comm ’20
- Alumna of the Year Award – Deborah McKeithan-Gebhardt, Law ’87
- Lifetime Achievement Award – James T. Murray, Jr., Law ’74
- Howard B. Eisenberg Service Award – Raphael F. Ramos, Law ’08
- Charles W. Mentkowski Sports Law Alumna of the Year Award – Sarah A. Padove, Law ’12
College of Nursing
- Distinguished Alumna of the Year Award – Marita MacKinnon Schifalacqua, Nurs ’73, Grad ’95
- Professional Achievement Award – Dr. Marjorie Clowry Dobratz, Nurs ’69, Grad ’72
- Young Alumnus of the Year Award – Dr. Christian Villanueva, Nurs ’15
Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Pedro Arrupe Award – Evelia Guerrero, Nurs ’21
Les Aspin Center for Government
- Public Service Award – Dr. Arnold L. Mitchem, Grad ’81, Hon Deg ’04