A university committee appointed by President Michael R. Lovell is working on an updated university seal that will celebrate Marquette’s Catholic, Jesuit mission and pay tribute to the influence of Indigenous peoples on our history.
The committee has gathered input from the Jesuit community, Indigenous peoples, faculty, staff and students and the design process is underway. The updated seal will be shared with the Board of Trustees for review and approval at a future board meeting.
Comprised of students, faculty, staff and community members, the committee includes:
- Rana Altenburg, associate vice president of public affairs
- Abby Cole, communication specialist, Office of Marketing and Communication
- Steven Frieder, senior advisor to the president
- Richanda Kaquatosh, coordinator, First Nations Studies, Milwaukee Public Schools and member of Marquette’s Council on Native American Affairs
- Sterling Knox, Ph.D. student, philosophy
- Chima Korieh, associate professor of history
- Alex Liberato, undergraduate student and president of the Native American Student Association
- Samantha Majhor, assistant professor of English
- Felicia Miller, chair and associate professor of marketing
- Dave Murphy, vice president for marketing and communication (Paul Jones, vice president of university relations and general counsel, will replace Murphy upon Murphy’s retirement at the end of March)
- Gregory O’Meara, S.J., rector of the Marquette University Jesuit Community and associate professor of law
- Karen Parr, art director, Office of Marketing and Communication
- Mikaela Perry, event planner, University Special Events
- Jennifer Russell, senior director of marketing projects, Office of Marketing and Communication
- Bryan Rindfleisch, assistant professor of history
- Jacqueline Schram, director of public affairs and special assistant for Native American affairs
- Rachelle Shurn, senior engagement officer, University Advancement
- James Voiss, S.J., vice president for mission and ministry
- William Welburn, vice president for inclusive excellence
Consistent with the university’s commitment to shared governance, members of the committee are meeting with the Jesuit Community, University Academic Senate, Staff Senate, Marquette University Student Government and the Graduate Student Organization to share the committee’s process and design direction.
Watch for more updates in Marquette Today.