Wisconsin ‘FoodShare’ grocery assistance program available to eligible students

Wisconsin students who are enrolled at least half time in an institution of higher learning and meet certain criteria can now participate in “FoodShare” and receive assistance to purchase groceries during the pandemic.

The provision loosening federal restrictions on these students was included in the COVID-19 relief bill passed by Congress and signed into law in December 2020. The duration of these provisions is determined by the length of the federal public health emergency.

Students must be currently enrolled at Marquette to be eligible. In addition, students must meet one of the following:

  • Were awarded federal work study (FWS) on your financial aid notification (whether or not they are currently employed in a work study job).
  • Have an expected family contribution (EFC) of $0, which is calculated using information submitted on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current academic year. All students receiving the maximum amount of a Pell Grant have an EFC of $0.

Note: Even if Wisconsin is not your home state, students can still apply. You simply need to show proof that you are currently living/going to school in Wisconsin. The following examples of documentation will suffice:

  • In-state license
  • Utility bill
  • Rental agreement
  • Letter from housing services at the institution of higher education
  • Letter from a resident assistant (RA) in a dormitory
  • Letter from a landlord of a rental property

Students interested in signing up for FoodShare should submit an application at Wisconsin’s ACCESS website, where they can also see if they are eligible for other support. To be successful, students will have to submit documents that prove their eligibility.

With questions, call (800) 362-3002.