The Latinx Research Scholars Program (LRSP) provides undergraduate students with a mentored experience in community-engaged research within the Milwaukee Latinx community.
A cohort of undergraduate students will receive mentorship, training, professional development and research opportunities with Marquette faculty, graduate students and community agencies. Students are encouraged to apply today.
LRSP scholars will:
- … join a cohort of scholars committed to learning about community-engaged research among Latinx populations
- … participate in research activities and work with staff at a Milwaukee community agency
- … receive mentorship from:
- Faculty members in the Department of Psychology (Dr. Lucas Torres, associate professor of psychology)
- Faculty members in the Department of Counselor Education and Counseling Psychology (Dr. Lisa Edwards, professor and director of counselor education)
- Graduate students in clinical and counseling psychology programs
- … learn about professional development topics such as applying to graduate school, cultural identity, wellness, presenting at conferences and networking
- Dedicate 10 hours per week during the 2021 spring and summer semesters
- Attend weekly LRSP meetings, scheduled for Wednesdays, from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m., as well as other activities
- Provide research support to a local community agency
Course credit (PSYC 4956) will be available for spring 2021. Additionally, a stipend of $1,750 will be provided for summer 2021.
Eligibility and application requirements:
- LRSP scholars must be full-time students during the spring 2021 semester and be available to conduct research in Milwaukee during the summer
- Applications are due Monday, Nov. 9, and should include:
- A one-page statement of interest in LRSP, past research experiences, list of relevant courses taken (i.e., Research Methods, Statistics) as well as your future goals
- A one to two page page resume or CV
- Applications should be submitted via email to Dr. Torres
- Application deadline: Monday, Nov. 9.
- Interviews with applicants: approximately week of Monday, Nov. 16.
- LRSP program dates: Jan. 25, 2021, through Aug. 15, 2021