The Marquette University Police Department was informed of an armed robbery that took place in the 700 block of N. 16th Street at approximately 2 a.m. Two male suspects (available descriptions below) approached an individual not affiliated with Marquette and demanded property. The victim gave up property and was not physically injured. The suspects fled northbound on 16th Street in a silver/gray van.
The Milwaukee Police Department and Marquette University Police Department are investigating the incident. If you have more information, please contact MUPD immediately at (414) 288-1911.
DESCRIPTION of suspect 1:
Age—————– 23 years old
Weight————– Approx. 300 pounds
Height————– Approx. 5’9”
Clothing———— Tan cargo pants
DESCRIPTION of suspect 2:
Clothing———— Gray t-shirt, black hat
DESCRIPTION of vehicle:
Silver/ Gray van
All Marquette students, faculty, staff, guests and visitors are reminded to:
- Walk in pairs or groups, being aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Use the LIMO and safety patrol services provided by MUPD. Call (414) 288-6363 for SSP escorts.
- During evening hours watch for the LIMO with strobe lights patrolling the perimeters of campus; the driver may ask if you want a ride or want to request a walking escort.
- Make sure someone knows when you leave and when to expect you back.
- Download the BlueLight safety app which allows users to connect directly to the Department Public Safety and has a unique “On My Way” feature that allows uses to share their location with a select group of contacts. The app is available to both iOS and Android users.
- Do not become distracted by talking on your cell phone or listening to music through headphones at a high volume.
- Travel on well-lit, busy streets and avoid walking through alleys and parking lots.
- Be aware of places along your path of travel that could conceal a criminal (shrubbery, building recesses, etc.). Avoid or keep a distance from these areas whenever possible.
- Take note of suspicious vehicles, especially those that appear to be circling the block or driving unusually slow. If you observe a suspicious vehicle, relay its description and location to DPS using one of the more than 450 blue light phones on and near campus.
- If you think someone is following you, cross the street, head for a well-populated, well-lit area and contact MUPD using one of the more than 450 blue light phones on and near campus.
- If you plan to drink, do so in moderation to avoid putting yourself in a position of increased risk.
- If approached, give up your property.