October is Respect Life Month, which provides an opportunity to reflect on the gift of life, learn more about challenges and threats to human dignity and life, and dialogue with others on ways to promote the flourishing of human life from conception to natural death.
One resource intended to foster this dialogue is Campus Ministry’s Respect Life website, which highlights a number of crucial topics, including:
- Abortion and care for pregnant women
- The death penalty
- Environmental justice and climate change
- Immigration and poverty
- Racism and white supremacy
- Supporting LGBTQ+ persons
This website is just a starting point for a host of topics that raise justice questions in light of Catholic Social Teaching.
To commemorate Respect Life Month, Masses will be celebrated on campus throughout the month of October. Masses may reference the Catholic Church’s commitment to upholding human dignity in all places and spaces.
Campus Ministry and Marquette For Life will co-host the following services:
- A candlelight prayer vigil in support of pregnant women, biological mothers, adoptive/parenting families and unborn children will be held on Wednesday, Oct. 23, at 9:15 p.m. at the Grotto of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Two “Masses for Life” will be celebrated on Thursday, Oct. 24, at noon and 10 p.m. at the St. Joan of Arc Chapel.
All members of the Marquette community are invited to participate. For more information about Respect Life Month, contact Steve Blaha, assistant director of Campus Ministry at (414) 288-6873.
In addition, Campus Ministry offers many opportunities throughout the year to explore Respect Life questions and issues facing the human family, especially through:
- Soup with Substance | Wednesdays, noon to 12:50 p.m.
- Ignite | Wednesdays, 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the AMU’s Chapel of the Holy Family
- Ignatian Family Teach-In
- March for Life Pilgrimage
- Midnight Run
- Marquette Action Program (MAP) and IMAP
Students seeking pastoral care, spiritual support, pregnancy resources or post-abortion support are encouraged to connect with Campus Ministry by calling (414) 288-6873 or visiting the CM office in AMU 236. Students may also visit one-on-one with a campus minister.
A listing of on-campus and off-campus resources that support pregnant students, biological mothers and persons considering adoption is online. This list will soon be expanded.