The Milwaukee Police Department is investigating the incident below. If you have more information, please contact MUPD immediately at (414) 288-1911.
Incident DetailsIncident types: Shots fired
Incident location: 22nd Street and West Wisconsin Avenue
Victims: One male, not affiliated with Marquette
Physical injuries: The victim, not affiliated with Marquette, was shot and and sustained a non life-threatening injury.
The Marquette University Police Department learned that a suspect fired shots from a vehicle on 22nd and West Wisconsin Avenue. One man, not affiliated with Marquette, was shot and and sustained a non life-threatening injury. The vehicle fled north, away from campus. The Milwaukee Police Department is investigating this incident. MUPD sent multiple safety alerts to campus via text and Twitter. There is no threat to campus.
Description of suspect(s)Suspect 1:
Race and/or ethnicity:
MUPD currently has no description of the suspect.
- Walk in pairs or groups, being aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Use the LIMO and safety patrol services provided by MUPD. Call (414) 288-6363 for Student Safety Patrol escorts.
- During evening hours watch for the LIMO with strobe lights patrolling the perimeters of campus; the driver may ask if you want a ride or want to request a walking escort.
- Make sure someone knows when you leave and when to expect you back.
- Do not become distracted by talking on your cell phone or listening to music through headphones at a high volume.
- Travel on well-lit, busy streets and avoid walking through alleys and parking lots.
- Be aware of places along your path of travel that could conceal a criminal (shrubbery, building recesses, etc.). Avoid or keep a distance from these areas whenever possible.
- Take note of suspicious vehicles, especially those that appear to be circling the block or driving unusually slow. If you observe a suspicious vehicle, relay its description and location to MUPD using one of the more than 450 blue light phones on and near campus.
- If you think someone is following you, cross the street, head for a well-populated, well-lit area and contact MUPD using one of the more than 450 blue light phones on and near campus.
- If you plan to drink, do so in moderation to avoid putting yourself in a position of increased risk.
- If approached, give up your property.