The Marquette University Police Department and Milwaukee Police Department are investigating the incident below. If you have more information, please contact MUPD immediately at (414) 288-1911.
Incident DetailsIncident types: Shots fired
Incident location: 1700 W. State Street
Approximate time: 2:22 a.m.
Victims: One vehicle, not affiliated with Marquette, was impacted by a round.
Physical injuries: No injuries resulted from the incident.
An unknown vehicle was traveling eastbound on W. State Street and the driver fired a handgun at a passing car. One round impacted another vehicle, not affiliated with Marquette, that was driving through the intersection of W. State Street and N. 17th Street. The unknown subject and vehicle then fled the area driving northbound on N. 17th Street. There were no injuries as a result of the incident.
During its investigation, MUPD learned that the vehicle impacted was an Uber car driving three Marquette students. The students were not injured. MUPD and the Milwaukee Police Department are continuing to investigate.
Description of suspect(s)Suspect 1:
Age: Approximately 30 years old
Race and/or ethnicity:
Weight: 200-250 lbs.
Height: Appx. 5' 6"
Clothing: Light colored polo shirt, blue jeans
Other: Driver of the unknown vehicle
Race and/or ethnicity:
Other: Passenger in the unknown vehicle
Vehicle DescriptionBlack two door car, possibly a newer model Chevrolet Cobalt.
- Always travel in pairs or groups, being aware of your surroundings at all times. Make sure someone knows when you leave and when to expect you back.
- When on campus, use the LIMO and safety patrol services provided by MUPD. Call (414) 288-6363 for Student Safety Patrol escorts.
- During evening hours watch for the LIMO with strobe lights patrolling the perimeters of campus; the driver may ask if you want a ride or want to request a walking escort.
- The use of alcohol by students under age 21 is against the law and against university policy.
- If you do plan to drink, be responsible, and do so in moderation.
- When using a ride sharing service or taxi for transportation, please take steps to ensure your safety:
- Make sure to match your driver’s name, car and license plate with the information provided through the app on your phone.
- Avoid anyone who offers a ride when it is not clear that they are directly affiliated with an established taxi or ride sharing service.
- If you observe any suspicious behavior or fear for your safety at any time, contact MUPD at (414) 288-1911 or through one of the more than 450 blue light phones on and near campus.
- Enter MUPD’s number in your phone so you have it handy at all times.
- Travel on well-lit, busy streets and avoid walking through alleys and parking lots.
- Be aware of places along your path of travel that could conceal a criminal (shrubbery, building recesses, etc.). Avoid or keep a distance from these areas whenever possible.
- Take note of suspicious vehicles, especially those that appear to be circling the block or driving unusually slow. If you observe a suspicious vehicle, relay its description and location to MUPD using one of the more than 450 blue light phones on and near campus.
- If you think someone is following you, cross the street, head for a well-populated, well-lit area and contact MUPD using one of the more than 450 blue light phones on and near campus.
- Do not become distracted by talking on your cell phone or listening to music through headphones at a high volume.
- If approached, give up your property.