The Marquette University Police Department is investigating the incident below. If you have more information, please contact MUPD immediately at (414) 288-6800.
Incident DetailsIncident types: Armed robbery
Incident location: 1624 W. Wells Street
Approximate time: 4:50 a.m.
Victims: One male, not affiliated with Marquette
Physical injuries: None
An armed suspect approached the victim, a 7-11 employee, and demanded and obtained store property. The victim was not physically injured. The suspect fled the store and entered a 2002 white four-door Buick Regal (WI license ABP-5782) driven by an unknown female. The vehicle then fled westbound on W. Wells Street and out of the area.
Description of suspect(s)Suspect 1:
Age: Approximately 20-30 years old
Race and/or ethnicity:
Weight: 155-160 lbs.
Height: 5' 7"
Clothing: Brown jacket
Race and/or ethnicity:
Clothing: Maroon coat, grey stocking cap
Other: Described as "older"
Vehicle Description2002 white four-door Buick Regal with Wisconsin license plate ABP-5782 displayed in the rear window.
Safety alerts are sent to Marquette students, faculty and staff when there is an active threat to campus. A text notification is sent first, followed by an email with additional information about the incident. More information is available on MUPD’s website: mu.edu/mupd/safety-alerts.php
- Always travel in pairs or groups, being aware of your surroundings at all times. Make sure someone knows when you leave and when to expect you back.
- When on campus, use the LIMO and safety patrol services provided by MUPD. Call (414) 288-6363 for Student Safety Patrol escorts.
- During evening hours watch for the LIMO with strobe lights patrolling the perimeters of campus; the driver may ask if you want a ride or want to request a walking escort.
- The use of alcohol by students under age 21 is against the law and against university policy.
- If you do plan to drink, be responsible, and do so in moderation.
- When using a ride sharing service or taxi for transportation, please take steps to ensure your safety:
- Make sure to match your driver’s name, car and license plate with the information provided through the app on your phone.
- Avoid anyone who offers a ride when it is not clear that they are directly affiliated with an established taxi or ride sharing service.
- If you observe any suspicious behavior or fear for your safety at any time, contact MUPD at (414) 288-1911 or through one of the more than 450 blue light phones on and near campus.
- Enter MUPD’s number in your phone so you have it handy at all times.
- Travel on well-lit, busy streets and avoid walking through alleys and parking lots.
- Be aware of places along your path of travel that could conceal a criminal (shrubbery, building recesses, etc.). Avoid or keep a distance from these areas whenever possible.
- Take note of suspicious vehicles, especially those that appear to be circling the block or driving unusually slow. If you observe a suspicious vehicle, relay its description and location to MUPD using one of the more than 450 blue light phones on and near campus.
- If you think someone is following you, cross the street, head for a well-populated, well-lit area and contact MUPD using one of the more than 450 blue light phones on and near campus.
- Do not become distracted by talking on your cell phone or listening to music through headphones at a high volume.
- If approached, give up your property.