In light of the recent breach through CloudPets, which exposed unauthorized information to websites, and Cloudbleed, the Center for Cyber Security recommends that the Marquette community complete the best practices presented by national experts as well as a risk assessment.
The full impact of Cloudbleed is still unknown. The advice to you based on these two incidents is slightly different with a common message of doing a better job with passwords.
Password creation tips provided by Stop.Think.Connect. can be found online. Also, advice is available from the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) about connecting smart devices to your home network.
- Understand your risk and use the most secure authentication methods for most important websites
- Use passphrases that you can remember (e.g., “Th!sSecurePhr@se4MU”)
- Unique passphrases for unique sites
- Multi-factor or two-factor authentication
- Learn to maintain security for connected devices (IoT)
- Pay attention to your WiFi router at home
- Do research before purchasing connected devices
More information can be found online.