Marquette University, Aurora Health Care, Harley-Davidson, MillerCoors and Potawatomi Business Development Corporation came together at the end of 2014 to form Near West Side Partners Inc., an organization working to improve Milwaukee’s near west side, where Marquette University is located.
Some of the group’s major accomplishments in 2015 include:
- PARC, an initiative designed to Promote Assets and Reduce Crime. This multi-year, $1 million-plus investment combines the efforts of local corporations, nonprofits, the Milwaukee Police Department and the Milwaukee District Attorney’s Office, to help revitalize and sustain the near west side as a thriving business and residential corridor.
- 76 faculty, staff and students collaborated in research and service with residents and community organizations to increase civic engagement, promote assets, enhance safety, and attract investment in the Near West Side.
- New economic development fund: $1.6 million in new near west side investment, including $800,000 in matching funds from Milwaukee County.
- A new logo and brand identity. The near west side known as “a neighborhood of neighborhoods.”
- NWSP Green Space Initiative: Planted community gardens at eight vacant lots.
- 570 law enforcement interventions since July in an effort to reduce crime.
- BID expansion approved: 300-percent increase in resources to enhance the community. Provides access to local businesses for façade improvements, increased safety and security, quality maintenance management, neighborhood marketing, and technical assistance for businesses.
- Four working groups: safety, commercial corridor development, neighborhood branding and identity, and housing. Each working group has significant Marquette University representation.
- One-year anniversary celebrated with a special On the Issues with Mike Gousha focused on the near west side.
NWSP hopes to announce plans for a Shark Tank competition and other new business developments in early 2016. Watch Marquette Today for NWSP’s announcements and updates.